Τρίτη, 4 Ιουνίου 2013

Treatment of Male Breast Enlargement (Gynecomastia-Γυναικομαστία)

                                                        Για ελληνικά πατήστε εδώ.

Gynecomastia, or enlargement of the male breast, is a condition frequently associated with devastating social and emotional trauma. The condition is relatively common in adolescent boy, but in 90% of the time symptoms disappear in a matter of months or few years. The remaining 10% are burdened with a social handicap that causes a deep and complex shame, and puts one's relationship with one's body at risk. Potential causes include puberty, steroid abuse, obesity, tumors, chronic liver disease and side effects of many medications.

There are four grades of gynecomastia:

  I-minor but visible breast enlargement without skin excess;
  IIa-moderate breast enlargement without skin excess;
  IIb-moderate breast enlargement with minor skin excess;
  III-gross breast enlargement with skin excess  so as to simulate a female breast.    

Treatment depends on the degree of the gynecomastia .  In cases where gynecomastia is primarily the result of excess fatty tissue (Grade I and IIa), male breast reduction with liposuction using the tumescent technique is the most appropriate treatment. The procedure can be done under local anesthesia, with fast recovery and limited side effects.

Excision techniques for male breast reduction are recommended where glandular breast tissue or excess skin must be removed to correct the breast enlargement (Grade IIb and III). Incision patterns vary and they can be done around the areola, under the breast or in the axilla.

Treatment with Liposuction costs around 2000 euros.

For more information and before and after pictures: